This is an inside look at the Lucid Dreamer device launching soon (2018) which claims to be able to directly induce lucid dreams through the headset.
Gaining full control of your dreams and experiencing each vivid detail of your reverie is the holy grail of what each lucid dreamer wants to experience. It used to be that one had to rely on certain wild and exotic herbs and substances that are hard to come by in order to experience that state.
Thankfully, we now have access to devices that are purposefully designed to increase lucidity and dream recall, while improving one’s quality of sleep and the Lucid Dreamer is one example of such a device. Read on to find out more about this innovative tool which has the potential to make all your lucid dreams come true!
What is the Lucid Dreamer?
The Lucid Dreamer is built with electrodes that work hand-in-glove with a smart phone app that enables you to enjoy complete lucidity during your dream state. The app is available in three versions, namely Essential, Pro ad Connect.
The Essential version allows you to:
- Set the amount of time that Lucid Dreamer should wait before activating,
- Choose your level of stimulation between 25Hz or 40Hz as well as the duration of the stimulation from 30 to 120 seconds
- Manage the level of intensity in the stimulation between 50 and 250 μA
- And set the number of stimulations that you prefer for the night, with a minimum of 1 and maximum of 3 stimulations
The Pro version:
- Comes with all the features in the Essential version
- Plus the ability to try-out different stimulation frequencies from 1-100 Hz, using the special Protocol Builder
- Try different combinations while switching up the intensity between 50 μA and 500 μA
- You can also choose to increase or decrease the extent of the of μA at the beginning and end of the stimulation using the ‘Ramp-up-or-down’ feature
The Connect version:
- Brings you all the features in the Essential and Pro versions
- Plus access to the Lucid Dream Together portal where you can connect with fellow lucid dreamers to co-create your ultimate dream by syncing both your settings for an unforgettable trip!
How does the Lucid Dreamer headband work?
You simply stick the Lucid Dreamer’s electrodes on to your smart phone device and after peeling of the protective covering, attach the patches that remain onto preferred areas of your body. From there, you’ll choose tour preferred ‘dream setting’ using the lucid dream app and you should drift off to sleep naturally afterwards.
Then, the Lucid Dreamer tracks your EEG brain waves using precise algorithms that alert the device the moment you enter the first stage of REM, which in turn activates a mild form of stimulation known as trans-cranial alternating current stimulation to deliver you to your lucid dreams by enhancing gamma activity in the brain.
Not to be confused with electroshock therapy, trans-cranial alternating current stimulation is very safe and effective at stimulating lucid dreams.
The ensuing experience can be likened to waking up in an alternate universe, where you feel as though you’ve literally travelled through some wormhole to a place where everything feels so real and vivid, even if the scenes tend to be fantastical and far-out sometimes.
That’s because the Lucid Dreamer takes you on a journey to your subconscious mind which you mostly ignore during the day in lieu of your conscious mind.
What we liked
- Dream awake: The Lucid Dreamer device allows you to transform your dream world from a hazy place of mysterious symbols, to a realistic playground that you can play around with.
- Self-realise: By giving you unlimited access to your subconscious mind, the Lucid Dreamer presents you with an opportunity to really explore the hidden parts of yourself that when unlocked, can lead to breakthroughs in the waking world. For example you could choose to tackle your fears by confronting the objects that represent them in your dreams, or asking useful questions from some of the characters you encounter, whose answers could prove to be a window into your soul.
- No limits: There is no limit to what you can do in your dream state with the power and control that the Lucid Dreamer gives you. From flying in space to visiting different planets, to meeting your favourite late celebrities and walking through walls. You can literally live out your wildest dreams with this device, going all out without worrying about consequences that would normally keep you from certain activities during the waking state.
- Refine your talents: You can also use the power that this device gives you to control your dreams in order to refine some of the skills and talents that you want to perfect in your waking state. By continually practicing an activity like surfing or fencing in both the waking and dream state, you significantly increase your chances of perfecting that ability and it certainly adds to your 10 000 hours!
- Engage your creativity: In the dream world, there is no limit to what your imagination can achieve so you can use this opportunity to take creative leaps which can propel your waking world projects to the next level.
- It’s safe to use: The Lucid Dreamer uses a mild form of electrical stimulation, with well-defined limits when it comes to the voltage, current and duration of the stimulation, which has been programmed into the device. The intensity and duration of this device is also significantly lower than most other options out there, making it remarkably safe but still very effective way to induce awareness during the dream state and it has no side-effects either.
What we didn’t like
Unfortunately, the Lucid Dreamer cannot be used by pregnant women, or anyone under the age of 18, or with a pacemaker and similar electronic implants. The makers of the device also advise against using the Lucid Dreamer if you have any of the following neurological disorders:
- Brain tumors
- Severe depression
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
The Lucid Dreamer is a step in the right direction when it comes to lucid dreaming technology, and incorporates the best of the available science to offer a product that not only produces amazing results, but is also safe to use.
Using the Lucid Dreamer can improve your lucidity during dreams; provide you with access to your subconscious mind, and even the opportunity to share your dreams with others. It is definitely a marvellous device worth trying out.
You can check it out here (link will redirect to a list of other lucid dreaming masks if this one hasn’t launched yet!)